Wednesday, December 27, 2017

CHOOSE: NEARNESS

Growing up in the Methodist church in Hoptown, one tid-bit I recall is analogous with sitting near a roaring fireplace. If one doesn't feel the warmth, guess who moved away from the fire. Similarly if one doesn't feel the warmth of God's presence, guess who moved? Not God. He is Emmanuel, "God with us!"
Psalm 73:28 reminds us "it is good to be near God."

The verse continues, "I have made the Lord God my Refuge." Psalm 46:10 expands the thought giving understanding of the resulting strength that comes to one who chooses the nearness of God as a refuge. When I "move away" from that nearness, I suffer, as do others around me.
I know because I have chosen my own strength these past weeks and thus failed miserably! 
Control. Dread. Fear. Insensitivity. Ire. Irritability.  By-products of my own life when I move away from the warmth of His love,  

As a new year approaches, I hope to change my direction moving closer to Him.  May I allow that nearness of Him, to not only give me refuge but His strength as well. 
Nearness to Him is the essential for Christ-like living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment