Friday, August 1, 2014

Dichot-TEA-my of Prayer


But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:6, ESV)

Prayerfully mulling this..............Quite a conundrum for me at this point.

Continued mulling into the night.

How does one (a pray-er) reconcile this with other scripture?

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11, ESV) *

Isn't telling someone you have prayed for them a form of encouragement? But...doesn't sharing with others reveal the secrecy of the prayer?

Doesn't the apostle Paul, himself, write the people of Colosse that he gives thanks for them and will always pray for them?

...will not cease to pray for you, (Colossians 1:9)

Isn't intercessory prayer Paul's first exhortation to Timothy, as a leader of the church in Ephesus?

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks, be made for all men; (1 Timothy 2:1)

The epistle scriptures seem inconsistent with Jesus' instructions in Matthew's verse, on the how to's of prayer.....but maybe it's not an "either /or" determination. Maybe they aren't mutually exclusive or contradictory. 
A true dichotomy? Maybe not opposites....just different??
Still mulling over my questioning cuppa dichot-TEA-my.

* 8/2 received email from Wynellen that answered one aspect of my questioning.
For me, encouragement comes when I know others have prayed for me. Pasted below is just the beginning of the email that listed prayers lifted not only for me but for each of my children and their families as well. I'm encouraged!!

Just finished praying for you.  I always catch up on your blog bf I pray so I can know what might be on your heart. Not sure about the emotions and tears Sunday, but thanked God for being El Roi- the God Who sees you and knows our cries. And then for the heritage you are leaving your children and grandchildren.......

No comments:

Post a Comment