Tuesday, October 17, 2017

CHOOSE: TO RELY

In my weird idiosyncratic way, I have a 3x "heads up" system on appearances of a word, verse or events. If something occurs just once, I probably rarely notice. Two times becomes a head tilt often with an expectation of #3. This past week, the word rely has been on my radar. First seen, In All to Jesus 10/11 devotional entry. At Monday's Prayer for Revival time, our passage was 2 Chronicles 15:1-7, great verses for meditation so relevant to our nation today. Opening my Bible, 2 Chronicles 14:11, on the opposite page already had, "Help us O Lord, our God for we rely on you" underlined, with some words highlighted. Rely emerged again......That's two.......and I WAS counting.
Last night as I finally picked up Sunday's Commercial Appeal to try and calm my mind for bedtime, I came across the Clue for 40 across, "Hinge (on)."
And the answer was.......rely! Of course it was!
Nudged by 3x rule, today I began a word study on rely. A quick glance at my Strong's Concordance (KJV) showed me 14 uses in the parent tense and 2 past tense entries in the Hebrew with 3 uses in the Greek. I'm sure this varies with Bible versions. 
One definition was used over and over---to trust. Therein was my life lesson. 
I need to trust Him rather than relying on my own strength. I am definitely a work in progress but being armed with His word which is the sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 4:17) is the truth I can "lean on to support one's (my) self" another biblical definition of rely.

In my own life, I have run out of strength in many areas and I need more than ever to rely on Him just as Asa did.
Then Asa called to the LORD his God and said, "LORD, there is no one besides You to help in the battle between the powerful and those who have no strength; so help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on You, and in Your name....(2 Chronicles 14:11)....
(My paraphrase of the remaining words...."we come against all the multitude," I see multitudes as synonymous for struggles which life can bring, in my life, especially as I age. DAL)
Robert Morgan, author of All to Jesus, says, Rely on the grace of God. He says he can rely on the Lord who is the all-in-all all his life and quotes the verse, "I have relied You all my life." (Psalm 71:6) 

I cannot say that I have relied on the Lord all my life but I can say, I chose to rely on Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment