Wednesday, February 15, 2017

CHOOSE: REFLECTING ON GOD'S WORD

I just love it when I am praying scripture for others and God show's me hidden jewels.
Such was the case with this week's prayers for Uganda folks from Psalm 19 as I chose to "refresh" my recollections as I began reflecting on God's word. 
For me, refreshing during my times of meditation can come when reading God's word from a translation other than the translation I had been using at that moment. Thus ESV was starting point but NIV held the new treasures. 

NIV Marginalia. 
There in my ragged NIV (think much loved and much used) were NOTES!
Perfect notes for wordsmiths!
God reveals Himself through nature (v.1-6) and scripture. In verses 7-9 there are:
6 synonyms6 adjectives & 6 results for scripture revelation.

Synonyms: 
Law. Statutes. Precepts. Commands. Fear of the Lord. Ordinances.
Adjectives:
perfect. trustworthy. right. radiant. pure. sure.
Results:
reviving the soul,making wise the simple,giving joy to the heart,giving light to the eye,  enduring forever, 
altogether righteous (as theses decrees come together in making decisions for human situations.


The law of the Lord is perfect,
     reviving (refreshing, NIV 2011) the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
    giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
    giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
    enduring forever.
The ordinances (decrees NIV, 2011) of the Lord are sure, (firm, NIV, 2011)
 and altogether righteous.

10) God's words....They are more precious than gold,  than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb......in keeping them is great reward! (Psalm 19:10-11, NIV, 1996---emphasis is the blogger's)

God's word in and of itself is "refreshing" in any translation. (NIV, 2011)

Knowing God for me comes when reflecting on His word. It's my best daily choice.

Marginalia---The more we (I) know God, the more (my) life should reflect Him. (Tim Lundy)

No comments:

Post a Comment