Monday, January 16, 2017

CHOOSE JOY in READING

Choose joy in reading by selecting books that touch the heart.

There's no such thing as a good book written just for children!
If a book is well written it can appeal to all ages.

That's my philosophy and I'm sticking by it.

I often choose to read books that touch the heart----not sappy books, but endearing ones. Some, such as All the Light We Cannot See, with 544 pages are on Best Sellers Shelf. Others are found in the "kiddie lit" section. That's where this week I found, Tucky Jo and Little Heart, unpaged. (Unpaged is library-speak for picture books. No page numbers.) Both are set during World War II---one in France against the Nazi's and the other in the Philippines with the Japanese occupation. Both touched my heart.
Maybe the Philippines setting book reminded me of the rare times when Daddy, a Kentuckian, would answer my questions about the months he was on the isle of Leyte in WWII, where he was wounded by a Japanese sniper/soldier. A wound that saved his life. He was "hospitalized" there, think MASH, and thus removed from the war. The next day his entire unit, of which he was the Sergeant in charge, was killed when they resumed their reconnaissance with a "sub" platoon leader. He wore that guilt for the rest of his life, I think.

Today's choice not only touched my heart, it blessed my heart with memories of Daddy and gratitude for all the US vets who served In the Pacific in WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment