Thursday, September 15, 2016

Pithy Grabbers

Succinct phrases that "grab" your attention have been dubbed by me as pithy grabbers----of which, I am a fan! No one knows that better than ljj who finally made a "pithy grabbers" file for our library.

When entertaining, Mother 's pithy grabber was, "a doily covers a multitude of sins" (think foibles/faux pas/mess) 
"My" Molly & I are always saying a doily covers a multitude of something__________.
Recently  she added "a vest is the doily of outerware as it covers a multitude of sin__________(think overeating) 
Religiously I assume that the Catholic doily-like head-coverings worn by women and the skullcap/yarmulke worn by Jewish men are an example of penitence as a way of "covering a multitude of sins" so that they can honor God.

Church Signs 
especially in the "South" 
often display thoughts that are....
pithy with a punch----
packing a lot of weight 
to remind others of "doing right!"





Sweet friend, Margie Hornor, is always adding to my "pithy" repertoire. She introduced me to arrow prayers.  Just those  two words indicate the forceful trajectory of said prayers----launched from earth and heading upward to God. 

Panic Prayers are similar (pithy plus alliterative, of which I am also a fan). Think URGENCY in all CAPS when there's no time for words. "HELP!" comes to mind


Recently Margie introduced me to "stinking thinking." Doesn't that just "reek" of negativity. 

The good news is, she gave a remedy for the stinking diagnosis---a grateful heart!






Dorm friend, Susan Featherston Coates, who knew me well suggested a pithy grabber for my tombstone---"just down for a quick nap." NOT only do fewer letters appeal to this "frugal fanny," but it lets the world know of my sleep patterns.

Nowadays, I'm rethinking that choice.

How's this for a tea aficionado?
"She ran out of tea." More a epithet than an epitaph....but it's a perfect final "pithy grabber" for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment