Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Confessions of a Nap Queen

5/19/09 Napping
I am a self-professed napper-----in all the verb tenses. I nap. I have always napped---as far back as I can remember. In college my friends teased me that I majored in early childhood because napping was a part of the curriculum. One friend, Susan, also used to tease me that my tombstone would read, “Just down for a 5 minute nap.” I will continue to nap every chance I get. It is beneficial to me---some folks say it’s good for the heart. My naps are more of the short power nap variety. Today my nap helped refresh my mind from a tiring day. According to William Anthony, author of the Art of Napping at Work, a 20-minute nap can improve your overall alertness, boost your mood, and increase productivity. I, at least, wait until I get home to nap. Naps are restful for me!

There is also a theology of resting. I’m just scratching the surface with it but…… knowing Him allows real rest. Today’s God Calling entry said one is able to rest knowing all is safe in God’s hands. “Rest is trust.” It’s more than just ceasing from activity. It’s an active knowing. “Be still (cease striving) and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) Note that the verse doesn’t end with just the ceasing of activity—that can be a form of distrust---but it becomes rest/trust, as one knows that He is God!
I can rest in God and that’s a real refreshing, beneficial power nap---one that’s really good for my heart.
Tonight, “Rest in the Lord,” (Psalm 37:7) knowing that He gives to His beloved even as they sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment