Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Friendship

6/29/11 A recent read, The Dead Don't Dance, included an Edith Wharton quote. I don't know if it's from one of her books (Ethan Frome was a 12th grade English assignment) or just her writings but it certainly spoke to my heart.
"There is one friend in the life of each of us who seems not a separate person, however dear and beloved, but an expansion, an interpretation, of one's self, the very meaning of one's soul." (Edith Wharton)
I had to ask myself, "Am I that kind of friend?"

Are you?

I have many great friends---from the workplace and traveling buds to high school chums, spiritual confidants and prayer warriors. Over the last few years, I feel as if I have "bled them dry," sucking the very lifeblood out of them as they gave unselfishly of themselves to me. I don't want to be a "vampire friend"---one who saps your energy and leaves you feeling totally drained. I want to be a Jesus kind of friend. Loving others as He has loved me.
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command....Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. (John 15.12-15)

Thanks to all who have sacrificially laid down so many aspects of their own lives for me and in so doing have shared that kind of friendship with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment