Saturday, March 14, 2009

Love Letter

3/14/09 When's the last time you wrote a love letter to express gratitude?
To: Larry
As I lie here next to you with the familiar “night noises” of almost 40 years, tears stream because of gratitude. Luckily, I always keep pen and pencil by the bed for my night THOTS, as I call them---one just never knows when the urge to “jot” might come, especially nowadays---just 2 days ‘til the surgeries begin.
Jottings in the dark:
I am grateful……………………….
· For your patience---everyone knows that is your strong character trait, especially your UM students. (Gal. 5:22)
· For your kindness--- which has been overflowing to your folks these last few weeks when I know how tired you’ve been. Yet you continued to work behind the scenes on their behalf and still make those late night hospital visits.
(Col. 3:12-15)
· For nightly back rubs that are too high in number to count. (God loves a cheerful giver and so do I.)
· For your “daddying” ability----you’re the best---just ask
your kids. (Eph.6:4)
· For your playful spirit---you’ve always been the biggest kid on Longreen and now you’re the favorite playmate of your grandboys—all 5 of them. They love their Pop-Pop!
(Psa. 125:3)
· For your ability to make me laugh---when I’m considering “casket attire” you’re suggesting-------------a PG13 comment that is so you! (Prov. 17:22a)
· For your willingness to have dishwater hands and to know how the vacuum works. (not scriptural--but a worthy trait)
· For your commitment to the Lord, family and your friends---you have lots of friends, often an atypical trait for men. (Matt. 22: 37-39) (Prov. 17:17a)
· For your dedication to me during this season with MAC---I trust you to be there for me every step that God leads. (Prov. 16:9)
· For your love---you know everything about me and still choose to love me and that is remarkable. (1Peter 3:7)

Nite, I love you---200 years as my wedding band says---our way of saying forever, in 1969.
Dotsy (your baby honey, of old---or maybe now it’s just OLD!)

5 comments:

  1. That was very sweet. I imagine you are filled with mixed emotions right now. I just want to let you know, as I am sure you already do, God is ahead of this all. He is with you now, He awaits you in the operating room, and H awaits you in the recovery. You are prayed for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read today's love letter to Larry I was overwhelmed with memories and cried puddles...meeting you thru Winslow @ Memphis State(that dates me),you and Beth serving @ our wedding,Larry coming back from guard camp and the Liles, Gurners and Aldersons having our fill of real "meat",Buddy in diapers bumping head on your stereo, us laughing, he repeats, we laugh, he repeats till we have to pull the entertaining fellow away so he won't have bruises, a little "old" lady with a generous gift @ Christmas, a visit to Lake Charles and a wonderful tea party full of love and laughter last Saturday! Years and years of friendship and memories, always with God @ the center,therefore a special love for sisters in Christ. You have been, are, and will always be an inspiration and example for me. It's a priviledge and joy to pray for you and Larry and family and I am anxiously awaiting Gos's special outcome for His very special child! Don't be afraid of tomorrow... God's already there! Love in Him... doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that 4 letter word that is stronger than steel, but as soft as a new born baby's cheek. Love that gives, Love that is gentle, Love that is strong. A Love of God. For God so Loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever believes in him will have everlasting life. For the lord Loves the just and will not forsake them. God is Love. We Love because he first Loved us. No greater Love has a man than to lay down his life for another. Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves. Love never fails....And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is Love. Dotsy, you have been blessed to have found the love of your life. You've been blessed with the love of your family. You've been blessed with the love of your friends as they are showing you now during this trying time in your life. But most of all you have been blessed by your love and trust in God. And I'm sure he is looking after you now and saying "Well done my good and faithful servant. In thee I am well pleased". Just remember the times only his footprints were in the sand as you traveled on your life journey with him. He again is going to lift you up on his shoulders and carry you through this also. When he sets you down again, we will all rejoice and praise his name for bringing our friend through. May God bless you and Larry as he allows you to spend the rest of your lives sharing the love you have for each other and for HIM!

    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dotsy, your Longreen friends next door are thinking of you... Max, Gigi, Gramps, and Aunt Ashlee! We send you loving, healing thoughts... hoping all goes well with this first procedure. Take care! The Terrys (and Groves)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much love my friend! Along with the many many others I continue to pray for you and every detail that God brings to my mind. Especially those details that you and I talked about on the day we got to visit. I remember all those questions and God has all the answers... He holds your hand.

    ReplyDelete